Sunday, July 17, 2011

bluesfest

Today is the last day of Bluesfest.. so sad. It's gone by so fast! But it's been a good two weeks. So far I've seen: Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, The Flaming Lips, Tegan and Sara, Cage the Elephant, The Black Keys, Metric and Mother Mother. I'm going again tonight, but I don't actually know anyone who is playing (Death Cab for Cutie, Lupe Fiasco, Ra Ra Riot) but I've heard the names before.

My friends and I got youth festival passes this year. The online early bird price for the youth bracelet was $99, which is a really good deal for 12 days of music (not that I went everyday). These past two weeks have been greaaat and very music-filled. My brother and a few of my other friends were also volunteering at the festival. So we got to hang out with lotsa other people who got unlimited access as well (as a volunteer you need to work 6 shifts for unlimited access to the festival, as long as you show up for your first scheduled shift).

The Flaming Lips put on a really good show. The lead singer started the show by inflating a giant bubble and crawling inside it, on top of the crowd. It was like a giant hamster ball! See for yourself!


They also had lots of balloons, confetti, lights, and fireworks at the end. All in all, it was a crazy show. The music was good too, I had never heard of them before though.

Tegan and Sara tell really good stories, and have really entertaining banter on stage. I did not know a lot of their music, but they were enjoyable to watch.

Cage the Elephant was pretty awful live. They were all definitely high and you couldn't really understand anything they were singing. The lead singer was very very very sweaty and gross, and he crawled over the entire crowd all the way to the back. It was strange.


We had to wait through a pretty massive thunderstorm for The Black Keys who ended up starting 45 minutes late. But even the shortened show was pretty good and worth the wait. Their crowd was huuuge. Definitely a pretty big name.

Metric is Metric. Always enjoyable, and Emily Haines is just so entertaining to watch on stage. She's an interesting one, that's for sure. I've seen them quite a few times at Bluesfest now, but I'd still continue going back to see them.

Mother Mother was really good! I knew very few songs, and so I got kind of bored during the middle chunk of the concert, and was just dancing/bobbing along until they played Ghosting, O My Heart and Hay Loft at the end. All my favourite songs at the same time.. right at the end!! It was great. They are really good.

This festival has been great for music! Now I know I have to find some new music from The Flaming Lips, and listen to the rest of The Black Keys and Mother Mother that I have on my computer. I'm excited!

1 comment:

  1. it's funny to hear that you didn't like cage the elephant. natasha wrote on facebook that they were SO amazing and she talked about the crowd surfing as well. but i've heard their music on rose's cd and think they sounded like poo so i'm going to go with your review on that one. :D

    ReplyDelete