Thursday, March 24, 2016

I've moved.. again..



Hi hey hello! I've made some blog changes around here: I've renamed my blog, and I've moved (again).

From simply steph to stephkoanie

I renamed my blog from 'simply steph' to 'stephkoanie', to distinguish between my calligraphy and design business (Simply Steph Ko) and personal blog. It just made a lot of sense to me. I use stephkoanie as my personal handle on most platforms, and it's in the URL of the blog. It's also different enough from Simply Steph Ko to really create a separation between personal and business blogging.

Maintaining the separation between personal and business blogs is important to me because I want to make it clear on my business blog that I do calligraphy, and create greeting cards and custom stationery. Don't get me wrong, I still want to share authentically on Simply Steph Ko, but I want to keep it topical and related to the calligraphy work that I do.

On the other hand, I don't know that I really have a purpose on this blog, other than to share my life authentically. And I'm okay with that. I will probably write about things like food, crafts, faith, and my city -- things that interest me!

I've also created a new site logo, with my new calligraphy and handlettering skills. It looks sooo good and refined! I love it. Whaddya think?

stephkoanie

It's a huge improvement on what I was using before. I'm so embarrassed, I'm not even going to reshare that. But the previous logo was designed before I knew anything about calligraphy or digitizing it. So it's pretty neat to see the skills I've picked up in the past year and a bit put to use :)

Moving from Blogger to WordPress

When I started blogging in 2011, I used Blogger because it is easy to use and it was already connected to my Google account. In 2015, I switched over to WordPress because I know that WordPress is more powerful, and I wanted to learn the platform.

Later, I ditched that blog in favour of my Blogger blog, because I have a backlog of posts here, and I wanted to use my WordPress blog for business purposes. But then I purchased my own domain name and started self-hosting simplystephko.com, so I no longer used stephkoanie.wordpress.com.

Long story short: I moved this blog to the WordPress platform again because I use WordPress for my business site too. It'll be easier for me to manage this way, so it all just makes so much more sense to me.

More recent-ish posts from this Blogger site have been moved to the WordPress site, but I'm not moving any old posts from this site so I'll leave this blog up just simply as an archive.

Okay, that's it!

There's nothing new there yet, but if you follow my blog, update your bookmarks and feed subscriptions to stephkoanie.wordpress.com to keep reading my fun life-related posts!


Sidenote: It's funny that I used to think the WordPress.com platform was complicated! Now that I've used WordPress.org (the version you can use with paid self-hosted sites), the free WordPress.com platform seems overly simplistic. Perspective shifts over time, and as you learn. Neat-o!

P.S. if you ever have any questions about Blogger, WordPress.com, or WordPress.org, let me know. I'm happy to help!

No comments:

Post a Comment