Tuesday, February 14, 2012

valentine's day.

To all the happy couples out there, happy Valentine's Day!

To be honest, I've never really thought of Valentine's Day as a big deal. It used to be the day where I would exchange those cute little cards with my classmates in elementary school, and then once we got older and that stopped, Valentine's Day ceased to exist. For me, it has always just been any other day in February.

Last year, all of a sudden people were asking me if I had plans for Valentine's Day. Once people start asking, it's hard to pretend Valentine's Day doesn't exist anymore, and so VDay was back on the map.

And I guess all that thinking about love, made me realize that yes, it is a day of love. But every day is a day of love, this day just does a great job of putting it in the front of everyone's mind. It's also a huge Hallmark holiday full of chocolate, roses and fancy dinners, but I have no experience in that department, so let's just stick with the love part of it.

It was around this time last year, as I was confused about love and boys, that my mind wandered to love and God. As I was thinking about love at Valentine's Day last year, I became overwhelmed with gratitude. I realized that God loves us all, and He loves each one of us specifically despite our trespasses, despite our sin, and despite our imperfections. It was then that I came to accept Jesus Christ as my Lord and Saviour.

This year I thought, "What could I do for Valentine's Day? Make cute decorations for my door? Bake cute treats?", but I thought I could just use this opportunity to share what Valentine's Day means to me, and how I will now remember it.

So whether or not you have a special someone to spend this day with, take some time to thank God for his everlasting love.

Here's the ever famous verse, John 3:16:
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life."

Thank you, Lord.

2 comments:

  1. so true =] took me a second to get the illustration, but really, praise the Lord for his love and kindness every day, not just today =]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, absolutely, everyday! :) And this is one of my favourite graphics. Once you get it, it's really kind of great, haha.

      Delete