Tuesday, October 11, 2011

tasty tuesday.

Tuesdays are the days that I feel like I have the most time on my hands, because I have a class from 8:30 to 10, and then I don't have class again until 6:30 to 9:30. Luckily, Loblaws here in Kingston also likes Tuesdays and gives students 10% off that day! I try to time my grocery shopping to always fall on Tuesdays, so I really think the discount is the greatest.

Recently I decided that I would try making some of the things I would normally only ever think of buying prepackaged. I'm taking a course in nutrition, and it keeps emphasizing more than ever the dangers of prepackaged foods. It's nice to make your own food and know exactly what goes into it. Even though the things I made today are far from being healthy, I feel better knowing that I made them myself, instead of buying the fake stuff.

Last week I made chicken nuggets and sweet potato fries, both of which include a very similar and easy process.

For the chicken nuggets, simply cut some chicken breast into nugget size pieces, dunk in egg before covering in breadcrumbs and spices.

For the sweet potato fries, skin and slice the potato into fry size pieces, cover in vegetable oil, season with salt and pepper.

Stick them on a baking sheet, throw them in the oven for 20 minutes at 400F, and voila! You may want to flip them at some point.

Truthfully, I didn't bake my chicken nuggets, though I should have. Probably would have been healthier, but I fried them because I was impatient (and kind of just wanted to fry them). I burned the first batch (bottom right picture in the collage) because I had the stove set on too high of a setting, and then cooked the other batches at a low setting and they turned out perfectly.


Both are such tasty treats. I will definitely be doing this again. Easy peasy, lemon squeezey!

Last week I also went over to Jocelyn's for dinner one night, and we made meatballs and sweet potato fries (I bought lots of sweet potatoes and still have two left over.. soup maybe?). Well, I chopped vegetables, while she cooked the meatballs and made a cheese and vegetable sauce. We poured some sauce on the fries too, so we ended up with a sweet potato poutine of sorts. It doesn't look that appetizing, but trust me, it was delicious! Sorry about the quality of photos though.. I forgot my camera and Jocelyn's housemate helped us take pictures using her phone. Yay phone quality photos!


I've had a little recent addiction with photo collages, hehe, can you tell? :P I use Picasa for my collages, and I love it!! Works so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment