Monday, October 24, 2011

chinese almond cookies.

Yipee!! I'm more than half done my midterms!! Yayayaa! Last one tomorrow.. and it's accounting, eep! Probably the one I am most nervous about.


I finished a midterm this morning, and that means.. time to bake! I found this recipe on elephantine and it looked easy enough. That and I didn't have to go shopping to buy anything. It used all ingredients I have at home already, except for almond extract, which I replaced with vanilla extract instead. I guess I'm really just losing out on the more almond-ey part of these almond cookies, haha! That's okay! I stuck an almond on top, so I can still call them almond cookies, right?


Chinese Almond Cookies (yields 24)

1 1/3 cup flour

1/2 cup white sugar

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup butter

1 egg

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

24 almonds


1. Mix flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Cut in the butter. Add egg and vanilla extract. Mix well. (Note: The butter has a hard time breaking up, and I had a very crumbly dough, so I ended up using my hands to mush it all together a little, that worked out for me.)
2. Roll the dough into balls (roughly between 3/4" and 1" in diameter) and place them evenly spaced on a cookie sheet. Press an almond into each, slightly flattening the cookie.
3. Bake for 15 minutes at 325°F, until the edges are slightly brown. Let cool on a wire rack.

3 comments: