Tuesday, May 29, 2012

vancouver, part 2: the food

Oh, the food. Just thinking about it makes my mouth water! (To read part 1 of my trip to Vancouver, click here)


There is no rhyme or reason to this post... because when it comes to food my brain melts and I just want to share ALL of it, all at the same time. And pretend I was eating it again. It's pretty hard to give the food highlights of an entire week's trip, when all of the food was so good. I'll try my best! Also, I apologize in advance for the quality of the photos.. Hunger and excitement outweighs my patience, and ability to take nice photos.

The Pelican, Dim Sum Adventure: I got the chance to put my very sparse Chinese skills to a test. I didn't know how to order some of the food because a) I can't read Chinese, and b) I don't know what things are called in English. So Rose and I checked off all the things we recognized, and I called a waitress over and got her to help me. It was kind of embarrassing, and I am very thankful nobody at my table could understand my broken Chinese. It all worked out in the end, and we got lots of shrimp (not surprising as it is a seafood restaurant), and everything came in such large portions! Everything was 1 and a half times bigger than I was used to!! (Translation: AMAZING).

The Famous Warehouse: After rock climbing, Rob took us all to a restaurant on Granville that sells everything for $5..!! And it's not like they were skimpy on their portions or anything either. Though the guacamole was kind of expensive, comparatively. I would definitely go back, and just not get guacamole, haha. It was also neat because the waitress told us that they make all the furniture themselves, so the tables and benches weren't of amazing calibre, but they were functional and definitely had personality! Neat-o.

Broadway Station Sushi: Cheap sushi, but good for its price. Quite excellent for its price, really. I think I got Lady Dragon Roll and Dynamite Roll. I can't quite remember what the first one is called - I waited too long to write this post! In any case, it had a lot of avocado on top, and was therefore so delicious. The menu was quite overwhelming, and I wanted to try just about everything they offered.. next time!


Granville Island Market: You can never go wrong with eating at a market. Fresh deliciousness. I got a couple of gala apples (my favourite) for snacking on. Wax-free, you could actually taste how much better it was! No shiny stuff. For lunch I had a yam salad (image at the top of this post) and it was oh-so-delicious. I don't even know how to describe it, just look at it! Yum!

Cheesecake Factory: In Seattle my mom and I went to the Cheesecake Factory for lunch one day. I hope some of you watch The Big Bang Theory, so you can appreciate this.. our waitress' name was Penny! Hehehe! The food was great, but the cheesecake was just to die for.


White Chocolate Caramel Macadamia Nut Cheesecake @ The Cheesecake Factory, in Seattle

Stepho's (Greek restaurant): I have never really eaten Greek food before, and when I have, I was never the one to order. I had no idea what to get! I played it safe and got a pork souvlaki. The portions were HUGE! And the food was delicious.


Already half eaten, hahaha. So yummy!

Japadog: I'm sure you've heard of it.. they were all over the place during the Olympics in Vancouver! They offer a variety of hotdogs with different sorts of Japanese toppings. It seems like a really strange concept, but is surprisingly good! I got a really safe variety though.. I think it had teriyaki sauce, mayo and nori on it (Terimayo hotdog). A tourist experience worth trying.


A traditional hotdog with Japanese dressings is strangely appetizing..

Rogue: A restaurant within the Waterfront Station. It actually looks super fancy and classy inside, and is located in a beautiful transit station, so I thought it would be a little overpriced, but it isn't! It's quite reasonably priced, actually. Rose and I went here after seeing an SFU grad dance show, and we shared a pitcher of lemonade (the special that day!) and a dessert. The restaurant itself is quite large, and quite loud and busy, but you also feel like you are in your own world and have some privacy because of the table arrangements and different areas. We also had a really quirky waiter. What a wacko, but so amusing at the same time. I had a GREAT experience here! And so many good chats with Rose, ending my trip off with a flourish.


Reese's peanut butter cheesecake. It tastes as good as it sounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment