Monday, March 30, 2015

i read a book!

Okay, I have a confession to make. I am not a reader. Eep! I hate the sound of that. Don't get me wrong, I love books, and I love reading, but.. I am simply not a reader. I don't soak up books like those around me do, and maybe you've noticed the lack of any mention of any book, ever. Well, that's cause I am not usually reading, so I don't have any recommendations for you.

Don't get me wrong, I do have some great recommendations up my sleeve, if you are ever interested. But they don't change often, because I probably have not read any new books since you last asked me.

Recently, I read Women of the Word, by Jen Wilkin.

the rising blog: http://www.therisingblog.com/faith/2015/2/9/women-of-the-word-a-book-review

I have always enjoyed Jen as a Bible teacher, and the subtitle of her book really appealed to me: how to study the Bible with both our hearts and our minds. I know that approaching things heart first is one that is so oft taken by women. Although, I may argue that as a student of science, I put a large emphasis on evidence, or "head-knowledge" as Christians like to refer to it sometimes. But I am still a woman, and I love my emotions. Jen argues that we need to use both our minds and our hearts to study the Word, and boy is she right.

J warned me that this book would probably cover things that I have heard before (either through him or through my church's teaching - and praise God for that! I have access to really great resources). But the book was still just what I needed.

The book is simple, short, and really sets you straight about how you should read the Bible. Sure, I didn't actually have any mind-blowing realizations while reading the book. But I still think it is a superb book that all Christian women should read (the principles apply to men too, although the book is written to women).

wildbloom blog: http://www.wildbloomblog.com/2014/09/birthday-weekend-photo-diary.html

This book reaffirmed my understanding of Scripture, and gave me the necessary kick in the butt where I needed it. The Bible is about God, not me. So I ought to read it that way and ask, "what does this passage reveal about God, and his story of creation, fall, redemption, and restoration?".
  • If you have no idea how to read the Bible, this is an excellent read.
  • If you want to know God more, I encourage you to give this book a quick read. It is exactly that, a quick read.
  • If you get solid Biblical teaching from your church, your spiritual leaders, etc., then this might just be a quick summary of what you think you already know!
Ultimately, this book is a short guide to reading your Bible. In the end, I would encourage you to go ahead and do that- read the Bible!

*Note: the images above are not my own. Hover for sources.

No comments:

Post a Comment