Thursday, April 12, 2012

my childhood summed up in one dish.

I have lots of favourites from home, but if you had to ask me what my absolute favourite, and most memorable dish from my childhood.. it would have to be this. I don't actually know what to call it in English though. Minced beef on rice, I guess.

At home, I call it meen tze nguw fan (免治牛飯?). My chinese is so great that I had to google that and I still don't even know what that means! Haha. The last two words are beef and rice, so I'm hoping the first two words mean minced or something along those lines.

Anyway, it's the simplest dish ever, and I can't believe I didn't make it all year, until just recently!


DIRECTIONS: Fry ground beef. Add soy sauce and salt to taste. Serve on steamed rice.
And there you have it! Easy peasy, right? You can also add in whatever vegetables you want. Usually I have peas and mushrooms but I didn't have either in my fridge on that particular day, so it is looking rather plain.

This is also the only dish where I add a LOT of salt, because I am used to eating it that way. I try to avoid adding too much salt to anything, if I can. But this dish is meant to be salty! Don't hold back! And don't eat often.. Watch yo sodium levels, kids! Haha..

Anyway, I don't know how adventurous you are, but for me, this dish is not complete without a raw egg mixed in. This is absolutely essential, and is what defines this dish for me.


Mix it all up, and voilà! Ready to eat.

3 comments:

  1. raw egg is scary!! i'm not sure about this one..

    although i have been told that if you are going to eat raw egg you should wash the outside of the egg in soapy water because the e.coli is actually on the shell, not the inside of the gg. do you do that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard so many different opinions about eggs, both cooked and raw. I'm not really sure what I believe anymore.

      Some say not to eat any part of the egg raw (no runny yolks in sunny-side up eggs!!) and others say to eat a raw egg every once in a while (especially for protein, for bodybuilders). Some worry about salmonella, others say that the risks are really low (1 in 30,000). Some people also say to buy organic eggs just to be careful. And I have heard that some people wash their eggs too. Some people worry about cholesterol levels, or antioxidants... I've also heard that eating raw eggs is good because cooking it can denature proteins.

      I've heard pretty much everything under the sun, and have no idea what to believe. But I've grown up eating raw eggs in this dish, and mixed with soy sauce when eating hotpot, so I'm used to it. It's totally up to you what you want to do. The information available is very mixed so it is hard to say!

      But to answer your question, I don't do anything special to my egg like wash it or anything, I just eat it.

      Delete
    2. i think you should at least wash them! it's an easy thing and there is no con of doing it... ya know what i mean

      Delete