Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Real Prices vs Mom Prices

I recently watched Confessions of a Shopaholic (good movie, by the way. Definitely recommend it for a chick flick night!), and at the start of the movie she mentions something about the difference between what her parents would buy, and what she would buy. I interpreted it a little differently than she did though. She was implying that her parents buy cheaper, uglier things, while she is more frivolous with her money and will indulge in higher priced brand name fashions.

However, the way I see it, the price tag looks different if I'm shopping with my mom, or if I'm shopping alone. When I'm shopping with my mom, she's got the magical credit card and $20 is nothing. But when I shop alone, I think real hard about it and $20 is a lot of money considering it came from my hard work, I had to earn it myself. I'd rather see the numbers in my bank account increase, not decrease.

Realizing this, it makes me feel a little guilty that I'm so willing to spend my parents' hard earned money, but not my own. I should really view everything the same.

Do you ever look at price tags differently depending on who you are shopping with? Is it always easier to spend someone else's money rather than your own?

No comments:

Post a Comment